Perform only asymmetric encryption/decryption

Andrew Gallagher andrewg at andrewg.com
Fri Apr 8 19:42:47 CEST 2016

On 08/04/16 16:28, Erik Nellessen wrote:
> When I encrypt data using GnuPG, GnuPG uses hybrid encryption. This
> really is a good idea for most use cases. But in my (I admit, rather
> special) use case, only using asymmetric encryption/decryption is
> what I need. Is it possible to use asymmetric encryption only? The
> interface I would wish to have takes plain data and provides an RSA
> encrypted cipher text (and vice versa for decryption).

A bit more info about your use case might be helpful (and intriguing!).
If you're just trying to create a new asym-encrypted copy of an existing
GPG session key (or something similar) then there might be a way. If
you're thinking of encrypting large amounts of data directly with
asym-encryption, then I'll question your sanity. ;-)