Querying gpg-agent configuration options

Paul R. Ramer free10pro at gmail.com
Wed Apr 27 05:29:19 CEST 2016

On 04/26/2016 07:20 PM, Eric Pruitt wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 26, 2016 at 07:13:29PM -0700, Paul R. Ramer wrote:
>> I didn't see any indication of such a feature from the man page, but you
>> could just look at the gpg-agent.conf file.
>
> It's not that simple. I would also need to account for flags passed into
> the application via the command line (--default-cache-ttl, etc.)  which
> can also change the configuration file used. On top of that, the
> configuration file does not necessarily reflect the state of the running
> agent e.g. if the configuration were modified after the agent was
> launched and a reload command never issued to the application or if the
> configuration file was deleted. For certain desktop environments, things
> are further complicated -- if I recall correctly, the GNOME keyring
> doesn't necessarily read its configuration from the GPG home directory.

I see.  I didn't think about the GNOME example. While I knew that the
configuration file couldn't tell you everything about a running
instance, it was the only thing I could think of.  As I said earlier,
the man page doesn't seem to say anything about this.  Hopefully,
someone else with more knowledge can give you a better answer.

-Paul