Where is /usr/local/gnupg-2.1?

Robert J. Hansen rjh at sixdemonbag.org
Mon Mar 21 23:39:33 CET 2016

Edgar reached out to me earlier, and I directed him here to this list in
the hopes that someone with more clue than me would be able to help.

Edgar, I'm not particularly up on GPG for OS X.  However:

> So, I went to the GnuPG site and I was able to download GnuPG-2.1.11. I
> received a “Installation successful” message, but
> the Thunderbird/Enigmail Set-up Wizard cannot find the files
> automatically.

GnuPG doesn't host an OS X build.  These are provided by either the
GPGTools group (providing GnuPG 2.0) or Patrick Brunschwig (providing
GnuPG 2.1).  I don't know which version of GnuPG you installed, but if
you got it from the GnuPG site then I'm pretty sure it wasn't what you
think it is.

Try downloading GnuPG 2.1 for OS X from Sourceforge instead:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/gpgosx/files/GnuPG-2.1.11-002.dmg/download

Install that version of GnuPG.  Then open up a Terminal window (it's in
your Applications folder, in the Utilities subfolder, called Terminal).
 At a command prompt type:

ls /usr/local/gnupg-2.1

If you get back a listing of files in that directory, congratulations,
things are installed.  Try Enigmail again.  If that doesn't work, ask us
again and we'll keep on working the problem until it gets solved.  :)