Fwd: Re: Fwd: Re: Question for app developers, like Enigmail etc. - Identicons

Stefan Claas stefan.claas at posteo.de
Mon Jun 12 20:51:05 CEST 2017

On 12.06.17 20:18, Ludwig Hügelschäfer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 12.06.17 14:52, Stefan Claas wrote:
>
>> Hi Ludwig,
>>
>> I just checked again. On my Mac and on my Windows Notebook i get a
>> green bar , from a blue "Untrusted" key when i go into Enigmails
>> Key Management and set the trust of that key to Ultimate...
> Well, ultimate ownertrust is the wrong way. This setting is reserved
> for your own keys. No wonder you get a green header bar.
>
> What are you trying to achieve?

Well, i assume that the majority of people who are using GnuPG
are using it with Thunderbird/Enigmail. Let's also assume they are
not security experts like all you guys here on the list and let's
also assume they are following popular tutorials like the ones
from EFF: https://ssd.eff.org/en/module/how-use-pgp-windows
because they know EFF are good people (like you security experts).

Now here is my thought. Mallory knows this very well what i have
described above and after he gained access to my computer he
simply replaces on of my locally signed pub keys with a fake
one where he sets owner trust to ultimate. A user, described as
above would imho have a hard time to detect a fake pub key,
because Enigmail shows for both keys a green bar.

Maybe as an additional security feature Enigmail should give
a key with a set trust level of "Ultimate" a different color than
green.

Regards
Stefan