FAQ and GNU

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Tue Oct 10 18:56:56 CEST 2017

On Tue 2017-10-10 18:05:15 +0200, Leo Gaspard wrote:
> So we should call FreeBSD “GNU/FreeBSD” instead? Sorry, I could not resist.

Debian actually does ship a "port" that uses the FreeBSD kernel and the
GNU userland, and it calls it GNU/kFreeBSD.

  https://www.debian.org/ports/kfreebsd-gnu/

This naming clarity is useful to distinguish it from the FreeBSD
operating system, which uses the FreeBSD userland with the FreeBSD
kernel.

There is no single userland required for any kernel (though some
userlands do require a specific kernel).  When we're talking about
GNU/Linux distros, we should name them for what they are.

Enjoy,

     --dkg