Silencing MDC Warning with gnupg 2.2.8.

Ralph Corderoy ralph at inputplus.co.uk
Fri Jun 15 12:23:56 CEST 2018

Hi Werner,

> > remove the MDC warning from stderr, allowing the rest of stderr's
> > content to pass?  Downstream of this command is unhappy otherwise.
>
> Why do you need stderr at all?  These are diagnositics for human
> consumption.

But stderr shouldn't be ignored.  Perhaps something unexpected appears
on it without affecting the exit status thus downstream of the program
using gpg doesn't just ignore stderr; it expects it to be empty and
checks it is.  Now it's not and downstream shouldn't know about a
gpg-specific stderr warning so I'll modify the script calling gpg to
delete one instance of that warning from stderr.  Thanks for confirming
there's no other way.

> > gpg(1) still documents --force-mdc and --disable-mdc, saying they're
> > now no-ops, but --no-mdc-warning is undocumented despite still being
> > accepted and also a no-op.  This hampers investigating why
>
> There is no reason to document a dummy option which never affected the
> behaviour of gpg.

It clearly did affect the behaviour else I wouldn't have needed to use
it, but I've raised the point so I'll let the matter rest, along with
the NEWS error.

--
Cheers, Ralph.
https://plus.google.com/+RalphCorderoy