gmail smime, sends two messages one is not encrypted. Experience?

Stefan Claas sac at 300baud.de
Sat Dec 7 20:59:16 CET 2019

Juergen Bruckner via Gnupg-users wrote:

Hi Juergen,

> This question is very easy to answer.
>
> S/MIME has some advantages over (Open)PGP.
> One of them - the most important for the usual S/MIME users - is, that
> S/MIME allows the uniquely identification of a communication partner,
> which is only limitedly possible with PGP.
>
> In addition, educational institutions, such as universities, schools,
> research networks etc., have their own internal CA, which keeps the
> costs very manageable.

Ah, o.k. with an own CA that make sense. However, I was also assuming
that students may use their certs also for 'outside' comms, which then
would require then that the other parties have always to import non-
trusted root certs, which is not the case with commercial ones, obtained
from globally trusted CAs.

> Am 05.12.19 um 23:39 schrieb Stefan Claas via Gnupg-users:
> > Sorry, I can't help you but I do have a question, if you don't mind ...
> >
> > Why are the Students at the University don't use OpenPGP with Gmail
> > via the free Mailvelope add-on for Firefox, Chrome? Wouldn't that be
> > not cheaper instead of purchasing a whole lot of S/MIME certificates?

Regards
Stefan

--
box: 4a64758de9e8ceded2c481ee526440687fe2f3a828e3a813f87753ad30847b56
  certified OpenPGP key blocks available on keybase.io/stefan_claas