NIST 800-57 compatible unattended encryption?

Brian Minton brian at minton.name
Thu Feb 21 22:55:50 CET 2019

On Fri, Feb 22, 2019 at 08:35:51AM +1100, gnupg at raf.org wrote:

> All of it. If you look at Part 1, Section 5, pp 29-31,
> you'll see the complete list of the different types of
> cryptographic key that are considered to be part of the
> standard and hence approved:

Based on my quick skimming of the document, this is what openpgp uses
asymmetric crypto for:

>   10 Private key-transport key
>   11 Public key-transport key

From that document, the definition of key-transport key is as follows:

10. Private key-transport key: Private key-transport keys are the private keys
of asymmetric (public) key pairs that are used to decrypt keys that have been
encrypted with the corresponding public key using a public-key algorithm.
Key-transport keys are usually used to establish keys (e.g., key-wrapping
keys, data-encryption keys or MAC keys) and, optionally, other keying material
(e.g., Initialization Vectors).

That usage (data-encryption keys) is exactly what gnupg uses to encrypt a
file.   You can go through the document and see the rest of the policies,
whether or not they apply to gnupg as implemented, but at first glance, that
is the case.

--
Brian Minton
brian at minton dot name https://brian.minton.name