Ok this is a stupid questions

justina colmena justina at colmena.biz
Mon Feb 25 20:27:18 CET 2019

On February 25, 2019 5:13:32 AM AKST, Michael Holly <michaelholly at discover.com> wrote:
> So I completely preface this question is not a valid use case for gpg.
>  I know, I get it.
>
> I have a potential issue that I'm trying to diagnose.  I'm trying to
> understand how gpg will react to the input file size changing during
> the encrypt or decrypt step.
>
> Right now it appears that the gpg process goes a bit crazy and the 200
> MB file I am decrypting becomes 1.2 TB or greater.
>
> Here is the order of the events
>

> 1.       File lands on my system.
>
> 2.       PGP decrypt is invoked on the file.
>
> 3.       Since the file is not truly done being sent to me, the file
> grows in size.
>
> 4.       GPG seems to expand the decrypted file many times over.
>
> What I suspect is that instead of erroring out, GPG starts the decrypt
> process over and appends the new output to the previous cycle..   I
> have not tested this, but will soon.
>
> I just wanted to see if anyone else has seen this happen.
>
> Thanks
>
> Michael

News media questions?

Many times it is the case that large files are compresssed before being encrypted, and there are certain information-theoretical reasons to do so.

Aside from efficiency and possibly a slightly better security, it is absolutely impossible to compress files after they are encrypted because the repetitive or redundant patterns, on which the compression is based, are precisely what is obfuscated and concealed by the encryption.

In any case, if the file was compressed before encryption, then it will have to be expanded back to its original size after decryption.

Then there is the base64 ASCII armor, which causes a ciphertext expansion to the tune of some 35% by using only 6 of the 8 bits of each byte plus extra formatting for new lines and such.

So how did the Firstlook Media reporters from The Intercept come to give up their GPG keys and go so mainstream corporate? They never got along all that well with the military, and they're not even remotely "alternative" anymore if they ever were. It's all establishment Democrat party line mainstream media, and "Don't you dare try to get smart and buck the labor union!" Holed up in Brazil somewhere pushing that atrocious "7me" spyware app on my Android phone as if that gay male reporter is suddenly a good Christian sitting on the church pew keeping the Sabbath so obediently on the Seventh Day and circumcising his kids under the law of Moses.

That's why I have to call foul play on proprietary operating systems. Encryption is theoretical only: in practice useless, moot, crippled, broken, and terminally back-doored with all the malware, adware, spyware, worms, viruses, trojans, keyloggers, and screenscrapers inherent to such systems as Google Android, Microsoft Windows, and Apple OS. The Democrats will stop at nothing to keep it that way at all costs, and the Republicans just don't care.
--
Una Milicia bien regulada, estando necesaria a la seguridad de un Estado libre, el derecho del pueblo de tener y de portar Armas, no será infringido.

https://www.colmena.biz/~justina/