Weird locale at passphrase step

Daniel Kahn Gillmor dkg at fifthhorseman.net
Tue Feb 26 00:47:08 CET 2019

On Mon 2019-02-25 19:53:17 +0100, Andrei Fokau wrote:

> I have just installed GnuPG on macOS Mojave using Homebrew. When I try to
> generate a new key I can go through almost all steps seeing messages and
> dialogs in English, but when it asks my passphrase, I see

 [ image of cyrillic glyphs and U+FFFD REPLACEMENT CHARACTER symbols ]

It sounds to me like the gpg-agent process that is running on your
system has a different locale.

GnuPG asks the agent for a new passphrase, which in turn displays the
prompt.

> How do I fix this?

unfortunately, it depends on how your gpg-agent is initialized, which we
don't have enough information on here.  perhaps it was launched before
your locale was set to en_US.UTF-8?

One thing you can try as a workaround is to kill off the gpg-agent and
it should get manually restarted on subsequent use:

   gpgconf --kill gpg-agent

maybe someone with more info about how MacOS and Homebrew manage
per-user services can weigh in on better workarounds, or suggest a more
principled fix for that platform.

       --dkg