Question about the security of the GnuPG Agent with regard to cryptographic material scrubbing

Ciprian Dorin Craciun ciprian.craciun at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 10:02:59 CET 2019

Hello all!

Given the recent survey in password managers security [1], which
concluded with their failure to properly sanitize / scrub the
sensitive data (i.e. "master key") in "running locked state", I was
wondering how does GnuPG Agent fare in this regard?

More specifically:
* let's assume that one uses GnuPG Agent;  (only for PGP;)
* the user enters the password for a particular private key;
* (one assumes that the password was used to get the private key
cryptographic material, and then scrubbed;)
* then `--max-cache-ttl` seconds passes;
* one assumes that the private key cryptographic material is now scrubbed;

Is this expectation correct?

Is there some external analysis about the security of the agent with
regard to the scrubbing of both passwords and cryptographic material?

Thanks,
Ciprian.

[1] https://www.securityevaluators.com/casestudies/password-manager-hacking/

P.S.:  My interest in this subject is because I have a "custom"
password-manager implemented on-top of GnuPG, which I'm sure leaks
passwords all over the place (because it's written in Bash, and uses
various X tools, none made for security).  However I am curios how
"safe" the actual GnuPG agent really is.