Feature proposal - image encryption

Dirk Gottschalk dirk.gottschalk1980 at googlemail.com
Sun Jan 6 23:19:24 CET 2019

Hi Stefan.

Am Sonntag, den 06.01.2019, 23:12 +0100 schrieb Stefan Claas:
> On Sun, 06 Jan 2019 22:13:50 +0100, Dirk Gottschalk wrote:

> Hi Dirk,

> > I don't think GPG should start to mangle with other data formats.
> > ImageMagick does the trick. Why should we invent the wheel a second
> > time?

> My thinking is that people using security tools like GnuPG might
> not trust tools from graphic tools programmers. And the second
> thought is in case GnuPG would allow this people like us could
> promote GnuPG for that in Computer Graphics communities and
> in other places, which are much bigger than encryption communities.

So, just encrypt a file the usual way with GPG. ^^

I see, what you're talking about. It's the Embedding into websites,
what IM mentions. But, why should somebody distrust the aes
implementation of an open source tool? Everybody can read the source,
if he wants. I believe they just use one of the crypto-libraries
available, like libcrypt, or libgcrypt, for example.

> GnuPG is world standard for email and probably file encryption, so
> why not for image encryption too? :-)

> At least it would not hurt to have such feature in GnuPG. ;-)

Except for the weeks, months, or years, which were needed to firstly
implement the JPeg format, for example and the other ten millions of
picture formats out there in the world. ;)

I see what you mean regarding to promotion and so on. But, under the
line, it's not worth the trouble. ^^

Regards,
Dirk

--
Dirk Gottschalk
Paulusstrasse 6-8

GPG: DDCB AF8E 0132 AA54 20AB  B864 4081 0B18 1ED8 E838
Keybase.io: https://keybase.io/dgottschalk
GitHub: https://github.com/Dirk1980ac