Unknown key in gpg-agent

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue Aug 25 15:12:45 CEST 2020

On Fri, 14 Aug 2020 14:31, Klaus Ethgen said:

> However, `gpg --list-keys --list-options show-unusable-subkeys
> --with-keygrip` does not display this keygrip.

You can also use

  gpg -k \&KEYGRIP

to list a key.  And with gpgsm use

  gpgsm -k --with-ephemeral-keys \&KEYGRIP

to see whether there is such a key.

> Is there any posibility to export that key or get info about that key,
> find it whatever?

Make a backup of the key and if sometime in the future you run into
decrypt problems (or trying to connect to some rareley used server)
restore it.

> So, ssh-add does not show the key (as well as KEYINFO --ssh-list) and
> gpg doesnt show the key. What could have put that key there when it is
> none of that commands?

A canceled or crashed key generation or import might be the culprit.

> By the way, using '&KEYGRIP' does not work with gpg to select a key for
> listing by keygrip.

Just to be sure, you quoted the ampersand, right.  It works for me and
some GnuPG components are using it a lot.  Just a quick test:

  $ ~/b/gnupg-2.2/g10/gpg -k \&1BFC2CF9BC9C265E6D3CC6B966C883722C5256C8
  gpg: NOTE: THIS IS A DEVELOPMENT VERSION!
  gpg: It is only intended for test purposes and should NOT be
  gpg: used in a production environment or with production keys!
  pub   ed25519 2020-08-24 [SC] [expires: 2030-06-30]
        6DAA6E64A76D2840571B4902528897B826403ADA
  uid           [ultimate] Werner Koch (dist signing 2020)

using my development version of 2.2 but I can't remember that we ever
had a regression.  It is a bit slow on a larger keyring, though.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner