decrypt aes256 encrypted file without gpg-agent

raf gnupg at raf.org
Tue Jun 30 03:17:01 CEST 2020

Werner Koch via Gnupg-users wrote:

> On Mon, 29 Jun 2020 13:07, vedaal said:
>
> > otherwise , just use GnuPG 1.4.x , and unless you ever need an
>
> Do not use 1.4 unless you have to decrypt old non-MDC protected data or
> data encrypted to a legacy v3 key.
>
> Shalom-Salam,
>
>    Werner

Sadly, there are other reasons that make it seem (to me)
as though I still need 1.4. :-(

I assume the answer must be no, but is there any chance
that --pinentry-mode loopback could be made to prompt
again when the wrong passphrase is entered? If it did
that, I'd be happy to stop using 1.4 on my mac laptop.

Alternatively, is there a pinentry program that works
inside vim and all/most variants of gvim (at least
X11/motif and MacVim)? Preferably available via
macports, but not necessarily.

I can't seem to find one. I've tried pinentry-curses
and pinentry-tty on debian-10 with gpg-2.2.12 but
neither prompt for the passphrase when invoked inside
vim or gvim, and the file is not decrypted.

Hopefully, I'm just ignorant and there is a solution
to my ergonomic issues (other than using loopback
and typing long passphrases very slowly and carefully).

cheers,
raf