decrypt aes256 encrypted file without gpg-agent

Johan Wevers johanw at vulcan.xs4all.nl
Tue Jun 30 14:43:28 CEST 2020

On 30-06-2020 12:10, Werner Koch via Gnupg-users wrote:

>> Do not break backwards compatibility if you want all people to upgrade.
>
> Do not update so that the bad guys can exploit your legacy software ;-)
>
> There are well documented reasons what we don't support MDC and PGP3
> keys anymore - it was complex to support and virtually impossible to
> make sure that the message has not been tampered with.

Not supporting encryption anymore I can understand, but by removing
decryption ability which makes old mail archives unusable you can't
realistically expect people to abandon 1.4 completely.

Complex, nah, you can always put the v3 key code in a separate set of
functions that are called when a v3 header is detected. Maybe not the
cleanest design but for code that is probably not going to see any
changes it would work.

--
ir. J.C.A. Wevers