WKD proper behavior on fetch error

Stefan Claas spam.trap.mailing.lists at gmail.com
Sun Jan 17 11:18:28 CET 2021

On Sun, Jan 17, 2021 at 10:51 AM Erich Eckner via Gnupg-users
<gnupg-users at gnupg.org> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> On Thu, 14 Jan 2021, Werner Koch via Gnupg-users wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 14 Jan 2021 01:47, Ángel said:
> >
> >> I understand this to mean it as "only use the direct method if the
> >> required sub-domain does not exist", with the SHOULD meaning that the
> >> direct method is not required (not sure why, I would have probably used
> >
> > Right.  The subdomain is actually a workaround for SRV RR.  We can't
> > use the latter in browser based implementation and thus need to resort
> > to this hack.
>
> Forgive my ignorance, but can someone explain, what "browser based
> implementation" of WKD exists (or might exist) and/or why this is
> desirable?

Well, Mailvelope, for example is a Browser based add-on with WKD support.
Mailvelope can be used with services like Gmail, so that you don't need a MUA.

There is also now a competing product for Mailvelope, from IIRC, the
United States,
which I have forgot.

Desireable, well, flexibilty so to speak, if you read my previous reply to raf.

BTW. WKD *Web* Key Directory for *Web* pages ... ;-)

Regards
Stefan