First Amendment and Marines?

jonkomer jonkomer at yandex.com
Sat Jan 29 17:38:24 CET 2022

My personal preferences have nothing to do with the topic
discussed here. I was simply trying to help an organization
that is, for *their own good business reasons* very much
motivated to adhere to GDPR, use existing IT infrastructure
to move to a more secure method of communication.

I was the one to suggest to them to use e-mail and OpenPG
encryption. The reasons were two-fold: first to avoid one of
those centralized, web-browser based, single-point-of-failure,
essentially insecure communication setups so common today;
the second was to make their member's communication
interoperable with general Internet population in order
to increase organization's visibility and promote wider
adoption of encrypted e-mail. I posted my original question
only in order to find out some technical details on how to
do that.

Posting the question was worthwhile, as I have learned
that:

(a) Unfortunately, OpenPG email encryption is incompatible
with GDPR and should not be used by those that either want
or need to be GDPR compliant.

(b) GDPR appears to be a topic that, for some strange reason,
elicits emotional reactions by the OpenPG creators and
maintainers.

(c) GPG and OpenPG appear to be very much US-centric
endevours. That fact ought to be taken into account by the
new users.

If the ultimate goal of OpenPG is the wider adaption of
encrypted e-mail, finding technical means to make it usable
by those that *wish to be GDPR compliant* - without forcing
such MO on everyone - appears to be a worthwhile effort.

I thank again to all that have contributed their answers,
comments and opinions.

Jon K.