Pinentry problem with different home dir

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Wed Oct 25 15:35:48 CEST 2023

On Wed, 25 Oct 2023 13:01, Falko Strenzke said:

> Can anyone give me an advice what I can try to get the GnuPG Agent
> pinentry working with different home directory specified via
> GNUPGHOME?

Run it this way:

mkdir /foo/bar
cd /foo/bar
GNUPGHOME=`pwd` gpg-agent --daemon ~/bin/gnupg-setup-tests

With gnupg-setup-tests being:
#!/bin/sh

SSH_AUTH_SOCK=$(gpgconf --list-dirs agent-ssh-socket)
export SSH_AUTH_SOCK
cat >setup-tests.ini <<'EOF'
PS1="$(echo "$PS1" | sed 's,\\\$ $,(GnuPGTest)\\\$ ,')"
export HISTCONTROL=ignoreboth
export HISTFILE=$(pwd)/.bash_history
EOF
exec bash --init-file setup-tests.ini

That is a pretty conevient setup and allows to keep test around and
easily switch to them.

The pinentry is searched at

$(gpgconf -L bindir)/pinentry

In case you have a special setup you may put a gpg-agent.conf into
$GNUPGHOME and use the pinentry-program option.  "gpg -v" shou.d show
which pinetry is launched, in case of problems, the gpg-agent.conf
should show/log an error.

Salam-Shalom,

   Werner

--
The pioneers of a warless world are the youth that
refuse military service.             - A. Einstein