[gnutls-devel] GnuTLS | WIP: Compare DNs by comparing their string representations (!1223)

Development of GNU's TLS library gnutls-devel at lists.gnutls.org
Thu Mar 26 15:13:39 CET 2020

Pierre Ossman (Work account) commented on a discussion: https://gitlab.com/gnutls/gnutls/-/merge_requests/1223#note_312015550

I don't know. I don't know how often such comparisons are made in normal scenarios. You'd be the expert here.

I can probably synthesize a test to compare `_gnutls_x509_compare_raw_dn()` before and after, but that doesn't necessarily translate to real world numbers.

As for a cache, where would we store it? We just get a `gnutls_datum_t` and not something high level.

So wait and see if anyone complains?

I could also reverse the logic. I.e. do a binary comparison first (most cases), and do the slow comparison as a fallback.