PR 119 [was: Report about currently open gpgweb problem reports.]

Noel D. Torres Taņo ndtt@ll.iac.es
Fri, 23 May 2003 10:11:32 +0100

Lorenzo Cappelletti wrote:

> On Tue May 20 at 16:40 +0100, Noel D. Torres Taņo wrote:
>
> > PR 119 (lolo, analyzed) says that the webpage cannot be viewed with
> > Netscape 4.78. My opinion is that the site must be accessible to all
> > versions of browsers, not only to the most modern ones. This PR seems=
> > be waiting an answer from the originator (Tony Sanderson) since more
> > than two months ago. I think that answer will never arrive (unless it
> > arrived yet).
>
> We've already had a discussion on this topic and the decision we made
> was that we support standards, not browsers.

I agreed, and I agree. I want simply to suggest not to support only the
last standards, but keep in mind that there are a lot of people and
systems that can't be at the "state of the art" of standards, but adhere
to previous standards. I think actually can be safe to support HTML 4.01
and CSS 1. I can't, for example, view some pages from my workplace.

> If site developers and browsers developers both chase after adhering a
> standard, there's going to be an end, otherwise it can be a never endin=
> story!
>
> Sorry Noel, but I'm not willing to support Netscape Navigator.  It's
> really old, doesn't support W3C standards and Mozilla is there as its
> most natural alternative.  To me, it really sucks, nowadays.

The problem is not that specific browser, but the couple of old browsers
all the world around. I can take care of that, if you want. I have some
ideas to support them.