Install GnuPG on Win98? Use GPA?

Oliver Schönrock oliver@schonrocks.com
Sun Mar 31 17:45:01 2002

--==========52458620==========

> The second userID you created doesn't have charset problems so I guess
> you created it later with GPG on the command line?

YES!!!

You are right. The second key does not have the problem. I didn't notice=20
because WinPT hadn't updated its keycache and I wasn't familiar with the=20
app yet.

BUT...The good key was created with WinPT!!

so you are also right about it correctly handling the umlaut..

The command line doesn't work no matter what I do. I am sure it is some=20
hidden **%$=A3 option in windows (because I have a UK machine) that is =
making=20
the command line box use the wrong character set. If I set the Locale=20
Location under Control Panel/Regional Options/general to Germany and then=20
create a new uid with gpg command line, the following happens:

Command> adduid
Real name: Oliver Sch=F6nrock
Email address: oliver@schonrocks.com
Comment:
You are using the `iso-8859-1' character set.
You selected this USER-ID:
    "Oliver Sch=F6nrock <oliver@schonrocks.com>"

Change (N)ame, (C)omment, (E)mail or (O)kay/(Q)uit?

I only got the ISO-8859-1 message once while in English Locale, when I very =

first did this 2 days ago. Now the message is back becaus of the German=20
Locale. It still produces the wrong character for the Umlaut!!

anyway my personal problem is solved, since I can generate a key with=20
WinPT!!! but surely there is some really fishy stuff going on with that=20
command line box and Locale setting (or whatever else Windows is hiding).

Hope this will help someone in the future. My lesson although I don't fully =

understand what happened there is:

"if you have a windows system locale other than the language you are trying =

to use, don't use command line gpg to make your uid. Use WinPT instead!".

Oliver