pinentry-qt (svn/r153) crashes on exec @ "assuan_register_command"; v0.7.2 execs no error.

Werner Koch wk at gnupg.org
Tue Jan 30 08:42:45 CET 2007

On Mon, 29 Jan 2007 22:13, benjamin at py-soft.co.uk said:

>> What is the reason that you need to be called by sh? I presume sh sets
>> some extra environment variables from a global configiration file.
>
> Otherwise the application bundle isn't read correctly and pinentry
> cannot grab the keyboard focus etc.  Yes it's a hack, but I submitted it
> to you months ago for comment.

Well, that does not answer my actual question.  I need to know the
mechanism used to locate the applicatiom bundle.  Letting the shell
decide what pinentry to use is not a good idea - we need to be more
specific.  In affecting using system() instead of fork/exec is in
general a bad idea for security reasons.  exec-ing sh with pinentry as
argument is similar to using the system() call.

As I suggested: If you reall realy want to do that you should let
pinentry re-exex itself.  This way we don't need to change the GnuPG
code.

>> What about integrating the ObjC version into the pinentry package
>> proper?
>
> I gave up when I didn't hear back from you.

Sorry about that but I can't read or follow-up on all mails.  Just
keep on asking.

Shalom-Salam,

   Werner