Problem with Gemalto USB Shell Token V2

Mukund Sivaraman muks at banu.com
Mon Oct 11 14:47:39 CEST 2010

Hi Tiago

I just purchased OpenPGP cards and Gemalto USB Shell Token V2 readers
(see <https://www.mukund.org/>).  They work perfectly for me.

I'll explain what I use to access them. Maybe you can adapt it to your
own use.

1) Start the pcscd service on your distro. This is a daemon that is
distributed in the PCSC-Lite package.  On Fedora, as root you can run:

service pcscd start && chkconfig pcscd on

2) Add the "disable-ccid" option to gpg.conf. This will make GnuPG use
PCSC-Lite to access the card, instead of the built-in CCID driver.

This in itself should be enough to get the card working properly. You
can do gpg --card-status to see the card, gpg --card-edit to edit the
card.

I have all this working on my stock Fedora 13 install with the
following versions of packages:

gnupg-1.4.10-2.fc13.x86_64
pcsc-lite-1.5.5-4.fc13.x86_64
ccid-1.3.11-1.fc13.x86_64

To configure other things such as SSH authentication keys, etc., you
will have to configure gpg-agent to start during desktop session
startup, make environment variables available to the shell (man
gpg-agent), and also perhaps disable some things if you are using
GNOME.

Good luck.

		Mukund