GPG with GPUs

Sun Jun 17 19:26:27 CEST 2012

Am So 17.06.2012, 08:04:09 schrieb Aaron Toponce:

> These files are about 200KB in size. We have a Perl script that handles the
> encryption/decryption for us. It could be the RNG slowing the process down.
> I won't disagree with that, but each time I need to encrypt the file, it
> takes about 2s. This is on fairly modern hardware running Debian GNU/Linux
> unstable. Intel Xeon quad-core with 6 GB DDR3 RAM.

start cmd:> time gpg --encrypt --sign 200k-file

Sie benötigen eine Passphrase, um den geheimen Schlüssel zu entsperren.
Benutzer: "Hauke Laging <hauke at laging.de>"
2048-Bit RSA Schlüssel, ID 0x3A403251, erzeugt 2010-03-04 (Hauptschlüssel-ID
0xECCB5814)

real    0m0.143s
user    0m0.086s
sys     0m0.008s

start cmd:> time gpg --encrypt 200k-file

real    0m0.024s
user    0m0.013s
sys     0m0.005s

This are the result (with a caches passphrase, of course). It's the same for a
zeros file and a urandom file. And this is on a power efficient CPU... (E-450,
which I guess doesn't have AES acceleration) probably without parallelization.

So there's obviously a serious problem with your setup. A problem slowing the
process down two to three orders of magnitude which will hardly be solved by
adding a GPU.

Hauke
--
PGP: D44C 6A5B 71B0 427C CED3 025C BD7D 6D27 ECCB 5814