Craft public key so that private key equals given string (my password)?

Christopher Beck beckus at beckus.eu
Fri Jan 2 14:18:21 CET 2015

On Friday 02 January 2015 13:14:26 sben1783 wrote:
>  Hi all,
>
>  maybe this question is completely stupid and only shows I didn't
>  understand anything about encryption, but anyway I'm really curious:
>
>  I want to store some of my private files encrypted on my NAS. Until
>  now, I'm using --symmetric for encryption with a (think so) strong
>  password that I can remember. Now I want to make this "process" more
>  robust and more user-friendly - I don't want to enter my password every
>  time I'm encrypting a file. I want to sort of store the password in a
>  short script so that I just type "my_gpg /foo/bar/" and it gets done
>  without further input from me.
>
>  Yes, I know I shouldn't store my password in a script;-) Acutally I
>  don't want to store it anywhere. Also I don't want to depend on a
>  private key that is stored somewhere. What I'd like to do is: create a
>  public key so that the corresponding private key equals my given
>  password. I could store that public key in my script and, for
>  decryption, just enter my remembered password as I do it with the
>  --symmetric option I'm currently using.
>
>  Does this make any sense? Is it possible or did I miss some other way
>  to achieve my goal (no password for encryption, no private key for
>  decryption)?
>
>  Thanks
>  Ben
>
>  P.S.: I also don't really want to set up a password agent on every
>  machine I want to encrypt files on.

Hi,

you can use the asymmetric variant: Generate a encryption key pair, store the
private key on your save place and the public key on your computer. Then you
can encrypt files without any password and decrypt them using your private key.

Dies this describe your purpose, except the fact you don't want an extra
private key? But think of the meaning of symmetric encryption: This meas, both
keys are the same and there is no difference between the private and public
key. So AFAIK you can't get around using an asymmetric key pair.

Regards,
Beckus

--
Christopher Beck