Craft public key so that private key equals given string (my password)?

sben1783 sben1783 at yahoo.de
Fri Jan 2 21:29:26 CET 2015

 On Fri, 02 Jan 2015 17:14:22 +0100, Peter Lebbing
 <peter at digitalbrains.com> wrote:

 [...]

> What feature are you asking for? It seems to me it doesn't need a
> feature,
> doesn't need explicit support. You write a copy of the key to the
> same directory
> as where you store the encrypted files. You write a script that
> fetches the
> private key from there into GnuPG's secret keyring. GnuPG never needs
> to know ;).

 Oh, yes that really covers what I wrote... What I actually meant to
 write was: couldn't gpg embed the private key into the gpg'd file, like
 as a part of the header? That way, no matter what happens to my gpg'd
 file in terms of moving around or whatever, the private key is with it
 (I personally wouldn't mind some extra bytes with each file). On
 decryption, gpg would find the private key in the header and just ask me
 for its passphrase like it does with symmetric encryption.

 Maybe this isn't such a common use case, but I think for me it would
 perfectly make sense;)

 Ben